I love slaw but not mayo so I make this version for BBQs – it is great with grilled meats like soy-marinated flank steak or chicken. It goes quickly – even kids like it – and you can eat a ton and still feel virtuous. Use a mix of whatever nuts you have lying around (sunflower seeds and toasted sesame seeds are good too) but I like the combination of almonds, pepitas and pine nuts. Double the recipe for a big crowd.
• 14 oz. bag of coleslaw mix or 5-6 cups finely shredded green cabbage
• 5 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
• ¼ cup unsalted dry toasted sliced or slivered almonds
• ¼ cup unsalted dry toasted pine nuts
• ¼ cup toasted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
• ¼ cup soy sauce
• ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
• 1 Tablespoon sugar
• ¼ cup canola oil
• 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine slaw mix or shredded cabbage, with scallions and nuts in a large bowl. Chill until ready to use.
2. Combine soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in a microwavable bowl or glass jar without the lid and heat for 30 seconds or until sugar is dissolved. Add canola and sesame oils and whisk or shake in covered jar to combine. Chill dressing until ready to use.
3. Toss cabbage nut mixture with dressing just before serving, adding just enough to coat the salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste.