Don’t live near a mediterranean grocery store? Click the link below to buy Kataifi (knafe) for this recipe!
Athens Kataifi Dough – Shredded Fillo (Phyllo)
- Shred Knafe (shredded filla dough), and cut into fine pieces with a knife. Melt two sticks of margarine and pour on top. Mix thoroughly with your hands so that margarine is evenly distributed. Toast on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Pat half of knafe onto bottom of Pyrex.
- Make filling: Heat ingredients in a saucepan till thick:
- 16 oz cup of Parve Haddar whip
- 16 0z Coffee Rich
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp orange blossom water
4. Cool and pour filling on top of knafe in Pyrex
5.Add rest of knafe on top of filling
6. Make Sugar Syrup:
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
7. Boil in saucepan for 20 minutes. Let cool till thick and place in a jar in the fridge .
Freeze knafe if desired in advance.
Defrost before baking. Bake at 350 for an hour or until toasty on top. Cut into squares.
Pour cold syrup before serving. Enjoy!
by Diane Catton