This recipe was sent in by Paulina Ashkenazi, our culinary school student, whose family raves about this gourmet savory dish.
By Paulina Ashkenazi
For the marmalade:
- 2 pounds red onion thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 3 cups red wine
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 table spoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 whole cloves (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary finely chopped
In a deep sauté pan combine all the ingredients with 1 cup water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer sturing a few times until liquid has reduced to a syrupy glaze (about 1 hour). Discard cloves.
For the tofu
1 pound extra firm tofu, sliced into 4 slabs
warm a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the tofu to the pan and sprinkle with salt. Cooked until browned on each side(about 3 minutes per side)
Spoon marmalade over the tofu and serve.