Served all over Europe and the Middle East, flan is the ultimate dairy comfort dessert food that is traditionally baked in a rich caramel sauce. In Mexico and Spain it is titled Flan, and in France it sounds much more gourmet as Creme Caramel. To see the French technique of making Creme Brûlée, just watch the video above by French chef Mark Bauer.
When I tasted this delectable dessert at Debbie Gindi’s birthday party luncheon, I knew I had to get the recipe for this fantastic creamy treat.
Mrs. Renee Gindi, Debbie’s mother in law, was so thoughtful and sweet to write up three of her favorite flan recipes, and here they are to share with all of my Jewish hostesses. Serve your flan at your dairy holiday lunch, Shavuot, Mother’s Day, or Father’s Day.
Just remember that there are 2 necessary steps to making the perfect flan:
1- Caramelizing the sugar (below)
2-Hot water bath (below)
Three Dairy Recipes for Flan:
First Step- Caramel as the base for your Flan:
- To make caramel: Melt 3/4 to 1 cup sugar directly in “flan” pan over medium heat, stirring constantly to melt evenly until lit liquefies and turns golden. Don’t let it get too dark watch it without taking your eyes off the pan!
- Turn pan to spread caramel over bottom and sides to about 1 inch from top edge. Set aside to cool while preparing “flan”.
Hot Water Bath:
Set your flan pan inside a larger pan and pour water into the pan into the larger pan until the water level comes to 1/2 inch to the top of the cake pan. Remove your cake pan and place water bath into a preheating 350 degree oven while you mix your flan. Pan should be in the exact center of the oven. Remove all extra oven racks in the oven. When flan is mixed and poured into ramekins or your pan, place gently into the water bath and bake.
Decorate your flan with sugar corkscrews- check out the video HERE.
Flan Recipe 1:
- Boil and scald 1 quart of milk cool. Add 1 tbsp. of vanilla.
- Beat 6 eggs very lightly and add ¾ cup of sugar. Add milk.
- Pour over caramelized pan and cook in oven 350 over a baking tray filled with water for about 1 hour.
Flan Recipe 2:
- 2 cans of evaporated milk- add 1 tbsp. of vanilla
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup of sugar
- Beat lightly
- Pour over into a caramelized pan and bake as above in a 350 degree oven for one hour.
Flan Recipe 3:
- 1 ½ qts. regular milk- Boil and cool. Add 2 tbsp. vanilla
- 2 cans evaporated milk 12 oz.
- 1 can of condensed milk 14 oz.
- 10 eggs
- ¾ cup of sugar
- Beat and pour in a caramelized pan.
- Cook in oven 1 ½ hours 300 degrees as above in a hot water bath as above.