kosher challah recipes, kosher recipes

Fool-Proof “Guaranteed Hamotzei” Challah

12 Comments 06 May 2011

Share |

Thank You Marni Levy for sending in this delicious challah recipe! Shabbat Shalom to all!

“Hi Marlene-

As we spoke about today, I wanted to share my concept for the ¬†“ideal” challah . Unlike cooking, which is very subjective, baking is purely scientific. Recipes must be followed to guarantee consistent results. A challah recipe for a 5 lb bag of flour requires 6 cups of liquid-without exception! What’s considered liquid?-water obviously, oil & yes-eggs are counted among liquid ingredients. Each egg is considered 1/4 C of liquid.

My recipe is foolproof, delectable & most of all-HAMOTZI for Sepharadim. Its very easy to turn our delicious & sweet challot into cake-literally, if we’re not careful with our infredients. ¬†Sepharadim have stringent rules about washing on Hamotzi bread & carefully avoiding a potential “Berachah Levatalah” (blessing made in vain).

My recipe is as follows:

• 5lb bag of white Heckers Flour (yashan 12 mos a year!) (Can also use King Arthur blue bag!)
  • 1/4 C kosher salt
  • 4 tbsp yeast
  • 1 scant C sugar
  • 1 C veg oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 1/2 C very hot water

My FOOLPROOF method: (these instructions are specific to a Bosch mixer)

1. In a 4 C measure-put 2 C of hot water, all the sugar & all the yeast-whisk til frothy & set aside.
  2. Open top lid of mixer & pour whole bag of flour, bury the salt in the flour (salt kills yeast so burying it in flour will help avoid their contact), add veg oil & both eggs.
  3. By this time-yeast should have proofed & you should see a rise of foam on top of frothy opaque mixture. Pour that entire mixture into machine & in same measuring cup-add 2 1/2 C more hot water to get all the sediment out of the cup.
  4. Turn the machine on Speed 1 for approx 30 seconds or until machine starts to “struggle”, then Speed 2 for the same-then onto Speed 3 for exactly 2 mins-THAT’S IT!
  5. Turn dough out into large greased bowl & cover w/ plastic wrap or tea towel until doubled in size.
  6. Make your berachah & weave as you normally do. Let rise again & pre-heat oven to 350 convect or 375 reg.
  7. Brush eggwash on top, seed as you like & Bake for 35 mins & remove to cool on rack.
  8. Enjoy!!!

Enhanced by Zemanta
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Your Comments

12 Comments so far

1. Shirley C. says:

Just wanted to add, I baked mine for only 20 minutes on 350… I would rotate shelves after ten minutes and watch them carefully!

2. Shirley C. says:

I love how this recipe turned out! I have been looking for a recipe that is not too sweet, but still has great flavor and texture, and this is definitely it! Thank you!

3. You are so interesting! I do not suppose I’ve read through a single thing like that before. So wonderful to find someone with original thoughts on this subject. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up. This web site is one thing that’s needed
    on the web, someone with a little originality!

4. For the year 2011, here are five of the best Android tablets
    ever released in the techie world:. The built quality on
    the XPS is also a solid one with aluminum carbon chassis,
    giving it a sturdy, premium look. if you’re under 120 lbs, unless you’re really short you are NOT
    overweight.

5. Ofira says:

I made the recipe today and used half white whole wheat by King Arthur and half Landaus famous challah flour. I found the dough to be too dry but didn’t add any extra water. We tasted a small roll and I think the recipe is good but a moister challah is more our taste. I like tha fact that there is practically no kneading here, but next time I will add another half cup of hot water. Will let you know how that turms out.

6. Marnie Levy says:

Hi Jenny & Blima-
    In response fo your questions I do use this same recipe for THE BEST WHOLE WHEAT CHALLAH you’ll ever eat with 2 small changes – I add another scant tbsp of yeast when mixing with sugar/water & I ONLY use “THE BEST FLOUR”- it’s sold in plain white sacks and available at Pomegranate and Supreme Health in Boro Park or Lakewood. I use WHITE WHOLE WHEAT- it’s yashan & organic. As far as kneading by hand, I have to admit I have never ever done it so I can’t advise. Good luck & enjoy!

7. Jenny says:

Is the Bosch mixture necessary? Any suggetions for kneading this recipe by hand?
    Thanks!

8. Blima Spetner says:

I would love to see a whole wheat challah that tastes moist and fluffy just like this. Do you have one?

9. Ofira says:

Can’t wait to try this next Thursday. I usually use Mrs Heller’s challah recipe and approximate the oil, change around the number of eggs I use. I get bored doing the same thing every time. But I want to try this scientific recipe and see the difference!

10. marlenem says:

Patricia- the bosche is really perfect for challah dough.
    They are not cheap but check these out! http://www.mykitchencenter.com/Results.cfm?category=6&gclid=CJGpp8nH06gCFUPf4AodsBBwhg

11. PATRICIA says:

I can NEVER make a chala…. it always turns into brick!!!
    I have a kitchenaid, maybe that is the problem?
    Should I buy a specific mixer for making chalah??

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Whole Wheat Honey Challah- Plus a 6 Braid Challah How-to Video | Kosher Recipes | - 08. Sep, 2011

[...] Fool-Proof “Guaranteed Hamotzei” Challah (thejewishhostess.com) [...]