Thank You Marni Levy for sending in this delicious challah recipe! Shabbat Shalom to all!
As we spoke about today, I wanted to share my concept for the ”ideal” challah . Unlike cooking, which is very subjective, baking is purely scientific. Recipes must be followed to guarantee consistent results. A challah recipe for a 5 lb bag of flour requires 6 cups of liquid-without exception! What’s considered liquid?-water obviously, oil & yes-eggs are counted among liquid ingredients. Each egg is considered 1/4 C of liquid.
My recipe is foolproof, delectable & most of all-HAMOTZI for Sepharadim. Its very easy to turn our delicious & sweet challot into cake-literally, if we’re not careful with our infredients. Sepharadim have stringent rules about washing on Hamotzi bread & carefully avoiding a potential “Berachah Levatalah” (blessing made in vain).
My recipe is as follows:
- 5lb bag of white Heckers Flour (yashan 12 mos a year!) (Can also use King Arthur blue bag!)
- 1/4 C kosher salt
- 4 tbsp yeast
- 1 scant C sugar
- 1 C veg oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/2 C very hot water
My FOOLPROOF method: (these instructions are specific to a Bosch mixer)
- In a 4 C measure-put 2 C of hot water, all the sugar & all the yeast-whisk til frothy & set aside.
- Open top lid of mixer & pour whole bag of flour, bury the salt in the flour (salt kills yeast so burying it in flour will help avoid their contact), add veg oil & both eggs.
- By this time-yeast should have proofed & you should see a rise of foam on top of frothy opaque mixture. Pour that entire mixture into machine & in same measuring cup-add 2 1/2 C more hot water to get all the sediment out of the cup.
- Turn the machine on Speed 1 for approx 30 seconds or until machine starts to “struggle”, then Speed 2 for the same-then onto Speed 3 for exactly 2 mins-THAT’S IT!
- Turn dough out into large greased bowl & cover w/ plastic wrap or tea towel until doubled in size.
- Make your berachah & weave as you normally do. Let rise again & pre-heat oven to 350 convect or 375 reg.
- Brush eggwash on top, seed as you like & Bake for 35 mins & remove to cool on rack.
- Today! Bake Your Challah With A Key Inside the Dough For A Prosperous Year ! (thejewishhostess.com)