image courtesy of Elana’s Pantry
This Mother’s Day and Shavuot make sure your fruit platter is the hit of your dessert table. Cut your watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, kiwis, strawberries uniformly, and place your beautifully cut mangos on top or on the sides. When fruit is appealing, your kids and guests will be just as temped to grab a vitamin C packed chunk of fruit instead of a sugary snack.
The video above shows several ways to slice a mango. Of course all of the different mango shapes are beautiful but my favotite are the decorative mango cubes pictured above!
How to Slice a Mango- Decorative Style:
- Stand the firm but ripe mango on its end, with stem side down
- Slice the flat sides off the mango, without cutting into the pit
- Place half mango on a cutting board, flesh side up
- Without cutting through the skin, score the mango with vertical lines
- Next, score mango with horizontal lines; leaving squares attached to the skin
- Turn the piece of fruit inside out and use a spoon to dislodge the cubes from the skin
- Repeat for the other half of the mango. Let the kids enjoy the pit!!!
Check out Elana’s Pantry for gourmet gluten free recipes!