kosher pareve recipes, kosher recipes, kosher rice and pasta recipes, mothers day recipes, rosh hashanah pasta, salads, and lunch ideas, shavuot recipes and ideas
Lately black rice has been making huge headlines on the food scene. What IS black rice? Where has it been all these years????
Well, scientists have just discovered that black rice is a treasure trove of nutrition. Hailed for thousands of years in China as a food for the royals, its benefits lay hidden to us common folk till now. A spoonful of black rice bran contains more health promoting antioxidants than are found in a spoonful of blueberries, plus the bran within the rice has less sugar, more fiber and an abundance of vitamin E.
As healthy as brown rice is, however, researchers think black rice may be even healthier. They analyzed samples of black rice bran from rice grown in the southern United States and found it possesses higher level of anthocyanins antioxidants than brown rice bran.
So, of course when my gourmet kosher foodie friend Debbie Gindi told me about this unbelievable recipe that her whole gourmet foodie family wiped out in 10 minutes, then I knew that my Jewish Hostess readers would love it. Here goes!
Healthy Colorful Forbidden Black Rice Salad
- 2 c black rice(NOT WILD RICE)
- 3 1/2 c water
- 1 lb diced roasted sweet potatoes
- 1/2 c roasted corn kernels(can be frozen type)
- 1/2 c red peppers,chopped
- 1/2 c yellow peppers,chopped
- 6 scallions,chopped(white n light green part only)
- 1/4 c dried cherries(preferably unsweetened)
- 1/3 c reduced sodium tamari
- 1/2 c sesame oil
- 1 TBSP ume plum vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Place in greased tray. Toss with 1 tsp olive oil. Roast in oven for appx 25 minutes.
- Put “forbidden” black rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat reduce cover and cook 30 minutes.
- Whisk tamari,sesame oil and ume vinegar together.
- When rice is warm toss all dressing into rice. Add sweet potatoes,peppers,corn,scallion and cherries. Serve room temperature or chilled .
Find more black rice recipes HERE:
Forbidden Rice Pudding With Blueberries from New York Times
Black Rice Pudding from Epicurious
Thai Forbidden Rice Salad from Barefoot Kitchen Witch
Forbidden Rice and Beans from Whole Foods