kosher chicken recipes, kosher meat recipes, kosher passover recipes,seder table Ideas, kosher recipes, rosh hashanah chicken recipes, shavuot recipes and ideas, sukkot and rosh hashanah recipes
Stuffed Eggplant Skins Roasted with Chicken and Eggplant Slices
This recipe for Syrian stuffed eggplant skins, chicken, and eggplant is a favorite of mine, and there is never a piece of eggplant or chicken left in the tin by the Monday night after Shabbat. Its perfect for a large crowd because you can fit so many chicken pieces,specha,and baked eggplant slices in one large roasting pan. Just by looking at these pictures I can really almost smell the succulent eggplant roasting with the spiced chicken!!! I’m really not kidding!!
I’m sure that many Syrian Jewish
housewives have their own technique for making this Shabbat dish. Please comment below if you have a different variation!
- 3 packs of dried eggplant skins available at most Syrian markets here in Brooklyn, NY.
Ingredients for this kosher recipe:
- 2 lbs of chop meat. mixed with allspice, cinnamon, salt, 2/3 cup arborio rice, and 1/2 cup water.
- 2 packs of chicken cut into 8 or 10. (The chicken tastes better with the skin on but honestly, I hate cleaning chickens so I tell the butcher to remove the skin for me.)
- 2 eggplants sliced (white eggplants are sweeter)
Open up the little packs of dried eggplant and place in a pot with water. Boil 2-3 minutes to soften.
Make the hashu (filling) mixture above: 2 pounds lean chop meat mixed with 2/3 cup of arborio rice, mixed with a small palmful each of allspice, salt, and cinnamon. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water and mix very, very well. (I use kitchen gloves)
Stuff each eggplant pocket with the hashu filling.If you have extra meat you can make “hashu balls” into torpedo shapes and freeze for a later date to throw into any chicken or “peas and hashu” recipe.
- Place sliced eggplants on a parchment lined sheet pan and brush lightly with safflower oil.
- Bake for 25 minutes until similar to the picture above.
- Pour oil 0nto bottom of a large roaster to coat.
- Place chicken pieces into pan.
- Sprinkle some garlic salt, salt, paprika, and allspice on top of chicken.
- Layer with eggplant slices.
- Top with stuffed specha (dried eggplant skins). You can place some more eggplant slices on top of specha.
- Drizzle with more safflower oil.
- Drizzle about 3/4 cup of water around edge of ingredients in the roaster to ensure it doesnt dry out. If you are using chicken without skin, then add some extra water.
- Bake at 350 degrees for A VERY LONG TIME!. (about 3-4 hours maybe more!) Keep checking until chicken is roasted and the specha is nice and dried and eggplant is melted over the chicken. If it seems watery, you may uncover and roast for an extra half hour. Enjoy and let me know how your chicken with specha comes out!!!
Just click HERE to get weekly discounts to your favorite stores and the best gourmet recipes in town!