There is no better feeling for a Jewish mom than clearing out those half filled bags and containers of oatmeal,assorted nuts, sesame seeds, apricots and dried cranberries that lay around our freezers and pantries from month to month. Inspired by Susie Fishbein’s Kids in the Kitchen, I whipped up an easy batch of yummy granola in about 7 minutes. (not including baking time). I really like this recipe because there is very little oil, which is not common for most granola recipes.
This is Susie Fishbeins recipe- but to be honest, since I never folow directions, I added sesame seeds, dried apricots, and any nut that I wanted to get rid of.
That kind of made it look a dot dry ,so I poured in a drop of extra maple syrup and maybe another drop of safflower oil.
Dont worry- it came out great!
Relax, You dont always have to follow the rules!!!
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal
- 1/2 cups raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup craisins or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup any nut
- 1/4 cup chopped any other nut
- 1/4 chopped any other nut
- 4 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine dry
- Whisk wet
- Pour mixture onto parchment paper sprayed with Pam (onto a pan of course)
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees stirring once midway
- Wait for it to cool to break into pieces
If you know that your family will love it then double the recipe!
You will also enjoy this healthy snack – Laura’s 10 Minute Healthy Fat-Free Cinnamon Oat Cookies
It goes quick!