breakfast recipes, kosher bread recipes, kosher dessert recipes, kosher recipes, mothers day recipes, shavuot recipes and ideas
I originally found this whole wheat banana bread recipe on the King Arthur website. I kept experimenting and trying to make it taste good while making it low fat and sugar free. When I tried using Earth Balance instead of butter, it really was still not low fat, and it had a bitter after- taste. I decided to try applesauce instead of the butter and it added a nice sweetness to the recipe while still keeping the banana bread moist. I also substituted brown rice syrup for the brown sugar and it was slightly less sweet but delicious. I doubled the amounts, and baked this delicious healthy breakfast bread into mini paper loafs and sent it over to my married kids so that they keep coming back for more…….
If you use brown rice syrup in this recipe you will taste the delicate sweetness but you will not experience the sudden spike in blood sugar caused by desserts made with regular sugar . Natural, and made with fermented brown rice, brown rice syrup is a great source of manganese, iron, potassium and B- group vitamins. Read more about Brown Rice syrup HERE. Enjoy! Marlene
Low Fat Whole Wheat and Honey Breakfast Banana Loaf
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ or 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together the applesauce and brown rice syrup until smooth. Add the vanilla, baking soda, salt, and bananas, beating until well combined. The mixture will be fairly smooth, with some scattered small chunks of banana.
- Beat in the honey and eggs.
- Add the flour, then the walnuts, stirring until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Let it rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Bake the bread for 50 minutes, then gently lay a piece of aluminum foil across the top, to prevent over-browning. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, then remove the bread from the oven; a long toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center should come out clean.
- *All ovens vary in temperatures so please use your discretion with baking times! Allow the loaf to cool for 10 minutes; then remove it from the pan, and set it on a rack to cool completely.
- Yield: 1 loaf, 16 to 18 servings.