by Vivien Hidary
Sicilian eggplants are sweeter and creamier than any other variety of eggplant. My friend Vivien, a gourmet cook, makes sure that this stuffed eggplant dish is on most of her Jewish holiday menus because its a family favorite! It can be prepared in advance, frozen, and baked before serving.
How to Create this Kosher Dish:
- Peel and slice about 4 sicilian eggplants and place on a tray sprayed with Pam.
- Brush a little olive oil on top of the slices.
- Bake on 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix equal parts of chopped meat and cooked rice with allspice and salt to make filling.
- When eggplant is done roll each slice around a small mound of filling.
- Arrange in a roaster or Pyrex in rows. Cover with a mixture of water, salt (or chicken consommé) allspice and a drizzle of oil.
- Bake at 350.Bake covered. .
These eggplants are soft and the perfect comfort food . You can also bake them whole and eat with a spoon! Enjoy!
- Stuffed Eggplant Skins Roasted with Chicken and Eggplant Slices for Rosh Hashanah (thejewishhostess.com)
- Maggie’s Healthy Spicy Pareve Stuffed Eggplant or Peppers- Secret Syrian Recipe! (thejewishhostess.com)
- Eggplant, Garlic, and Chopped Sun Dried Tomato Spread (thejewishhostess.com)