by Joan Nathan
We scoured the ‘net for a lowfat soufganiyot recipe for our calorie conscious Jewish Hostesses and we found Joan Nathan’s great recipe
to share. I wasnt sure if my kids would love the apricot filling so I bought caramel and custard filling from Kitchen Caboodles on Avenue P in Brooklyn.
Baked Soufganiyot–Low Fat Israeli Hanukkah Jelly Doughnuts
This recipe serves: 24
- 1 package dry yeast (1 scant tablespoon)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (approximately)
- 1 cup lukewarm skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch of salt
- grated zest of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons reduced fat butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup apricot jam or caramel, chocolate, or custard filling.
- confectioner’s or granulated sugar for rolling
1. Dissolve the yeast and 1 tablespoon of the sugar in the water.
2. Put the flour in the bowl of a food processor equipped with a steel blade. Add the dissolved yeast, milk, egg, egg yolk, salt, lemon zest and the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Process until blended. Add the butter and process until the dough becomes sticky yet elastic.
3. Remove the dough to a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for at least an hour. If you want to prepare the dough in advance, place it in the refrigerator overnight, then let it warm to room temperature before rolling and cutting.
4. Grease 2 cookie sheets. Dust a pastry board with flour. Roll the dough out to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using the top of a glass as a cutter, cut into rounds about 2-inches in diameter and roll these into balls. Place the balls about 1 to 1 1/2-inches apart on the greased cookie sheets. Cover and let rise 30 minutes more.
5. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake the doughnuts for 12 to 15 minutes or until they’re golden. Remove from the oven and let cool.
6. Soften the jam in a food processor. Using an injector, insert a teaspoon of jam into each doughnut. Roll the soufganiyot in confectioner’s or granulated sugar and serve immediately.
Click HERE to Subscribe Now: and win the cookbook of the month, and free weekly recipes and discounts to you favorite shops!