kosher dessert recipes, kosher pareve recipes, rosh hashanah and sukkot recipes, rosh hashanah desserts

Italian Plum Torte – A Rosh Hashanah “New Fruit” Dessert

10 Comments 26 January 2013

Share |

Italian prune plums are in season this month, and are a juicy “new” fruit for the Rosh Hashanah new year. They look like an extra large purple olive. In the 80’s, The New York Times printed this Italian plum recipe, and its been in my mother in law’s Rosh Hashanah recipe archive ever since. Its a moist cake recipe that can be made two weeks in advance and frozen with plastic wrap. When you pull it out of the freezer and warm it up, it will taste oven fresh.

This dessert is easy to make and gorgeous on your breakfast or Rosh Hashanah dessert table.

• 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup margarine (we use Earth Balance these days)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 12 Italian prune plums
  • Sugar & lemon juice – for topping
  • Teaspoon of cinnamon

Oven – 350 degrees

1. Cream the sugar & margarine in bowl
  2. Add flour , baking powder, salt & eggs
  3. Beat well
  4. Spoon the batter into 8-10 inch spring form
  5. Split and pit the plums and place the halves on top of batter – skin side up
  6. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and lemon juice and cinammon.
  7. Bake about 1 hour
  8. Remove and cool
  9. Refrigerate or freeze if desired.
  10. Serve plain or with whipped cream, dust with confectioner’s sugar.

Subscribe Now to get the best recipes and discounts from your favorite shops!
Enhanced by Zemanta

Your Comments

10 Comments so far

1. Excellent post but I was wanting to know if you could write a litte
    more on this subject? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Thank you!

2. Carmen says:

Fastidious answers in return of this difficulty with
    solid arguments and telling all on the topic of that.

3. Aimee says:

Thanks for the delicious recipe! It was a great hit on sukkot and looked as beautiful as it tasted.

4. Rochel says:

Wow this came at the right time I had a lot of plums and did not know what to do with them, so I made this beautiful torte this shabos. Everyone loved it and my husband is still talking about it. It was very easy and it makes a wonderful presentation and it tastes great alone or paired with some pareve ice cream.

5. Miriam Kairey says:

I can confirm that this is a classic from the 80’s. I used to bake it with butter, instead of margarine, and serve it as a dairy dessert. I prefer the taste of regular plums (not italian prune plums) so that is what I used. It is time to dust off this recipe and start making it again.

6. Tamara says:

WOW! This was posted in the nick of time! I have a ton of plums someone gave me and I wasn’t sure what to do with them!
    THANKS!

7. nora sutton says:

I’ve been making it for years and have given the recipe to many friends. I also use peaches and my daughter-in-law makes with apricots, also.

8. Fay says:

This is Marian Burros’s recipe — a classic! Easy to make and freezes extremely well. I always make a bunch at once when the italian plums make their way into the stores in September and freeze; that way I can give gifts of the plum tarts when invited to people’s houses, or serve during Sukkot.

9. maggie says:

thanx for this easy and delicious recipe. I tried it for simhat torah and it was a hit!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Linguine with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Olives & Lemon by Giada | Kosher Recipes | - 15. Sep, 2011

[…] Italian Plum Torte – A New Rosh Hashanah Fruity Dessert (thejewishhostess.com) […]

Share your view