bridal showers, kosher dessert recipes, mothers day recipes, sheva berachot table settings
Sheva Berachot, Bridal Shower, or Mother’s Day Themed Berry Filled Heart Cake
This is a wonderful and easy romantic berry cake that any level baker can whip up like a pro. I am hosting a Sheva Berachot next week and this cake is tops on my dessert menu. Save this in your desserts folder for any heart shaped themed dessert such as Mother’s Day, a Bridal Shower, and Sheva Berachot. I would also cut out a dreidel shape for Hanukka, or triangle for Purim. Why not? The fillings are unlimited too! Use a tree shape for Tu bishvat and mound with new fruits and voila! You’ve got your own unique dessert creation! Have fun and send me your fruit filled cakes- I would LOVE to see what you’ve come up with!
p.s.- This cake is also a perfect pre-Passover excuse to start baking up the Hametz ingredients in the kitchen…
Many thanks to Emanuelle my Jewish Hostess Instagram follower from London (!) for sharing this fabulous recipe. Check out her blog www.manusmenu.blogspot.com.
Sheva Berachot Berry Filled Heart Cake
- 11/2 cups superfine sugar
- 11/2 cups softened butter (margarine/dairy free butter)
- 4 eggs beaten
- 11/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk soya milk
- 1 cup butter/dairy free butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- strawberry jam
- (To make icing mix together butter and icing sugar in a food processor)
- red berries of your choice
- Pre-heat oven to 180 Degrees C or 350 Degrees F.
- Mix all cake ingredients together. (Make sure eggs are beaten before hand and butter is beaten before hand). Make sure the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Grease two round 8 inch cake trays.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the cakes are in the oven, take an A4 piece of paper and fold it in half.
- Draw half of a heart on one side of the fold.
- Cut out the drawn half heart shape while the paper is still folded. You should come out with a heart shape.
- When the cakes have baked and cooled, CAREFULLY remove them from their cake trays and place them on a large flat surface.
- Place the heart stencil on the top side of one of the cakes. Carefully, with a sharp knife, cut around the shape. Make sure the cake is fully cooled. (You might want to keep your icing in the refrigerator until needed).
- Evenly spread a medium layer of icing on the other piece of cake.
- Spread jam on top of the icing, but leave centre (where heart will be) without jam.
- Gently and carefully place the cut-out-heart piece of cake (with a large spatula and help from a friend if possible!) on top of the other piece.
- Make sure it is placed evenly (and the heart actually looks like a heart!)
- Pour the fresh red berries in to the heart shaped 'hole'.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar. Enjoy!