kosher meat recipes, kosher passover recipes,seder table Ideas, kosher recipes, Passover Recipes, rosh hashanah roast , lamb, and brisket recipes, sukkot and rosh hashanah recipes

Unbelievable Shabbat Brick Roast with Wine, Cranberry Sauce, and Portobello Mushrooms

13 Comments 13 August 2013

Share |

Portobello Cranberry and Wine Brick Roast for Shabbat/and or your Rosh Hashanah and Jewish Holiday Menu:

This recipe was inspired by The Kosher Palette Cookbook. The recipe is so easy to put together on a Friday morning for Shabbat.  When the sauce ingredients are simmered together, you would never know that there is a can of cranberry sauce in there- but that coupled with the cooking wine gives it unbelievable flavor! I love when an unexpected guest rings the bell on a Friday afternoon and they say how good the house smells!!! When you make this roast- it will be one of those days!!! If you are more of a brisket  roast hostess, please comment below with brisket roast tips for this recipe.

Please let me know how you like it! Marlene

p.s.- I didnt have time to snap a pic of the finished roast before Shabbat started, but I managed to snap a pic as it was sliding into the oven.

Kosher Brick Roast Recipe Ingredients:

• 1 cup Marsala cooking wine (my sister in law used half Kesser wine and it came out great)
  • 1 cup of Imagine or Passover chicken broth
  • 1 can of whole or jellied cranberry sauce
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 6 garlic cloves chopped
  • 3 sprigs fresh rosemary (my sister in law didn’t have rosemary and it turned out great)
  • One 4 0r 5  lb brick roast
  • 4 portobello mushrooms sliced

Directions for this Shabbat recipe:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Whisk wine, chicken broth, flour, onion, cranberry sauce, in a saucepan and heat on a low flame  until melted and boiling for about 10 minutes.
  3. Rub roast all over with salt, pepper, garlic, and place sliced onion and rosemary on top.
  4. Pour cranberry sauce mixture on top and cover.
  5. Roast for about 1 and one half hours covered and then add half of sliced portobello mushrooms for another half hour.
  6. Cool, slice, and re-heat for 45 minutes to an hour before serving, uncover the last 20 minutes for browning.
  7. Saute the rest of the portobello mushrooms in garlic and top as a garnish before serving.
Enhanced by Zemanta
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Your Comments

13 Comments so far

1. Jill says:

The recipe looks delicious!
    Do you roast the meat covered at any point?

2. yum! always looking for new roast recipes

3. Diane A says:

Hey I made the brick roast with the cranberry masala onion recipie and I really followed it incorporating the cake meal instead of the flour because I was making for Shabbat for passover and let me tell u it reAlly came out not normal nice and juicy the meat when I was cutting it before I was serving it was carting so nicely- my guests practically finished it mi would defiantly Mae it again

4. marlene says:

Lyn-call Albert the Butcher from Prime Cut in Brooklyn- (718)375-6328. Tell him Marlene from The Jewish Hostess told you to call! He knows everything about each cut of meat and will Answer your questions!!!!happy holidays!! Marlene

5. Lynn says:

I have no idea what a brick roast is…nor a boston roast or a shell roast or a french roast….these names are all foreign to me up in Canada….can anyone tell me what it’s equivalent would be? Is it the type of roast that requires to be cooked in liquid for a very long time in order for it to be tender?

6. maureen m says:

kitchen smells awesome from the rosemary cooking cant wait to taste this yummy roast

7. marlenem says:

It os a French or Shell roast!!!!

8. Sherry says:

In the Chicago area a brick roast is called either a French Roast (at Jewel) or a Boston Roast (at Hungarian)

9. Marla says:

I have never hear of a brick roast. any other name for this?

10. Shira says:

Do you know what a brick roast may be called outside of NY? Here in LA we have different names for every cut! Thanks!

11. marlenem says:

Sarah Leah-just make sure its fully cooked before Shabbat and keep warm as you would normally keep your other Shabbat food before kiddush.

12. sarah leah says:

the 45 min. reheat is problematic for a Fri. nite as Shabbos usually falls (especially in summer) more than an hour before kiddush.

Share your view