Being an obsessive sweet food muncher, I’m always on the lookout for healthier grab and go snacks. The raw food diet craze has spurred on so many healthy dessert recipes, that its too tempting not to try and jump on the bandwagon. Inspired by this Whole Living Strawberry Oat Bar Recipe, I deleted the strawberries here so that the bars would last a couple of extra days without the fruit getting mushy on top. I also did not have macadamia nuts as suggested, so I substituted cashews.
This date nut oats bar a healthy breakfast treat, and filling enough to satisfy that midday sweets craving.
Try it! Whip up time- 5 minutes!
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (split each one and check inside- sometimes you will find yucky things growing in there- you will thank me one day!)
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- about 12 raw whole almonds
- Pinch sea salt
- Pulse dates, nuts, oats, and salt in a food processor until combined.
- Press the date mixture onto a flat dish and press into a square with the back of a long knife.
- Place a whole almond on top of each square inch of your flattened mixture and place in freezer for a half hour. Remove and cut into even squares.