My daughter Shirley has been experimenting with new recipes as a newlywed and she is determined to buy lots of low fat healthy ingredients. She used to complain that I was the only mother who sent in organic apples for third grade snack and she still recalls the sound of the thud that the whole apple made as it hit the bottom of the classroom garbage can. I never understood how she ended up with all those Laffy Taffy wrappers in her jacket pockets…
I made this Low Carb Apple Crisp recipe for you for Shabbat. Enjoy!
- 4 Organic Baking Apples (honey crisp apples are delicious)
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 1/4 cup whole grain pastry flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread (if mixture seems dry- add a little more)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- spray an 8×8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, thoroughly combine the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and Earth Balance margarine.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples.
- Spread the apple slices evenly over the surface of the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the oatmeal-flour mixture over the apples.
- Bake in the preheated over for 30 minutes or until the apples are tender and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm, topping each serving with 1/4 cup frozen parve ice cream.
Makes 8 servings. Double or triple the recipe for a big crowd.