Nowadays, its so hard to find an easy and simple chicken recipe that is not camouflaged with candied sauces that are so sweet that we don’t even realize that its even dessert time.
I believe that our grandmothers imbued their holiday meals with cups of love mixed with with a down to earth collection of simple ingredients that reflected their humble, less-complicated lives. Its time to unveil the true flavor of your chicken!
Follow Giuliano Hazan‘s authentic easy kosher chicken recipe and leave the syrupy ingredients in the pantry!
By the way- this recipe is a perfect as a Passover chicken recipe and can be used all year round.
“In this modern age of information overload, it has become ever more essential to have authorities in different fields whom one can trust. How does one select a title on Italian cooking from the dozens which seem to be published every year? In the realm of authentic Italian cooking, Giuliano is an authority that one can trust.”
Amazon Customer Review
From How to Cook Italian by Giuliano Hazan
1. Preheat the oven to 375° on the regular bake setting.
2. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Sprinkle some salt and pepper inside the cavity. Lightly crush and peel the garlic cloves and place them inside along with one of the rosemary branches. Close the cavity on both ends with toothpicks.
3. Rub the olive oil over the skin of the chicken. Chop the remaining rosemary and sprinkle it all over the chicken along with some salt and pepper. Put the chicken in a roasting pan with the breast down and place in the oven. Calculate approximately 25 minutes cooking time per pound (1 1/2 hours for a 3 1/2 pound chicken). After one third of the cooking time has passed, about 30 minutes, turn the chicken so the breast is facing up. After the chicken has baked for two thirds of the total cooking time, about another 30 minutes, switch the oven setting to convection heat and raise the temperature to 400°. If your oven does not have convection heat, simply raise the temperature to 425°.
4. To check if the chicken is done, pierce the flesh near the leg joint to see if the juices run clear. If they do not, roast for another 10 minutes and test again. Remove from the oven and let the chicken stand for 5 minutes before carving and serving.
- Roasted Chicken with Rosemary Carmelized Onions, Tomatoes and Olives (savoringeverybite.wordpress.com)
- Greek Chicken for Shabbat (thejewishhostess.com)