Last Shabbat I made a crunchy, colorful chopped taco salad inspired by my favorite new gourmet kosher cookbook, Chef At Home published by the Magen David Yeshivah PTA. If you haven’t heard about this new 400 page kosher cookbook yet, than make sure you order a copy soon from Yvonne Franco . Once you have it in your kitchen, you wont be able to cook a meal without it!
Add this healthy new salad to your holiday lunch menu. Its a great change from the traditional boring salads that we’ve gotten used to.
For this healthy kosher recipe, I used healthy organic tacos from Omni Health located on avenue U in Brooklyn. I also added fresh chopped jicama which adds a delicious low calorie crunch to the mix.
- 1 head romaine chopped
- 2 small ripe tmatoes
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 avocado cubed
- 2 corn on the cob, steamed and shucked
- jicama cubed into small pieces
- several tacos, toasted and broken into 1″ pieces
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar or Splenda
- 1-2 teaspoons of cumin
- juice of one lemon
- juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon light mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
Directions for this Kosher Recipe
- In a large serving bowl combine all ingredients except for taco chips.
- Blend salad dressing ingredients
- Pour and toss
- Top with taco chips and serve.